Contact

Blogs I Like

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Voters are Stupid

Most voters really are stupid. People should vote for a candidate based on the ideas and qualifications of the candidate. Unfortunately that rarely happens. Approximately 20% base their electoral decisions in such a way.

In my experience with campaigns here are how the majority of voters make their decisions.

My parents and my grandparents voted for the (place name of party here) party so I will vote for the candidate of that party.

At first glance their is no issue with this type of voter. It is alright to take the views of those whom you respect into consideration when making decisions. However, This type of voter will not vote in a race if they don't like the candidate of their party. Nor will they cross party lines to vote for a candidate they like of a different party.

I will vote for the candidate with the most yard signs.

The rationale for these voters is that this is the candidate that has worked the hardest campaign and thus deserves their vote. This is bad because anybody with a financial backer can put out yard signs regardless of what they stand for.

I recognize this candidate's name

This is for voters who have got absolutely no clue, but they see a familiar name on the ballot. This is why campaigns spend so much money on advertising. How else could anyone explain Arnold Schwarzneggar winning the Governor's race in California (let alone a a Republican).

This candidate has the popular support in the polls

As I have written in Why I hate polls, polls can be both deceiving as well as a self-fulfilling prophecy. Basing a decision on a poll creates mob behavior.

I could go on for forever on these kinds of issues. Basically I'm saying don't be a stupid voter. Base your vote on the merit of the candidate and how their ideals match up to your own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Political Party Blogs


politics and

Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory

Powered by Blogger

Copyright 2007 ©. Politicalnut.com All Rights Reserved."